Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Sleepover.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday... there was no electricity in about 70% of the city. My dad joked about how UAE was becoming more like Pakistan each day. I didn't reply. I knew the reason for this massive power failure was as massive as the power failure. The electricity disappeared and returned throughout the day as if it were learning how to apparate. When I was supposed to return home, the power disapparated again. I seized this opportunity to stay the night at Q's house. Dad allowed me to. He had no real choice in the matter - I refused to climb up 11 floors again to reach a powerless house with no air conditioning.
Chelsea wasn't sure if she was going to spend the night. Her parents said they would pick her up but when they didn't show, Chelsea found out from her sister that their building had no electricity either so they weren't going to pick her up after all. They refused to climb down and then back up 12 floors to reach a powerless house with no air conditioning.
Q's house was somehow, miraculously, the only one of our three homes that had power throughout the night. We spent our first ever successful sleepover rescuing helium balloons from the ceiling for Q's nieces, inhaling the helium from one of the balloons after it began deflating and talking in that high, JamesBlunt-y voice.
The night wasn't completely as fun as I am making you believe. Lots of shit happened, of course, because shit always happens. Our hangouts are incomplete without it. This night was no different. My dad didn't really approve of me sleeping there, Chel's parents were angry at her, Q had a disagreement with her husband over something trivial and I'm pretty sure Q's mom wasn't happy with me laughing during prayers.
When we finally fell asleep, it was well past 5 am.

1 comment: